BLY YogaGuide Apprentice Program
Become more than a yoga teacher: learn the ways of the YogaGuide
In this ongoing apprenticeship, you become part of a dynamic team of apprentices learning how to tailor small group classes to the people they are for in ways that elevate and transform each client involved. Learn how to adapt on the fly for your students' needs and teach the class they need in that moment. Learn how to spot areas of resistance and how to introduce new experiences in ways that have your students doing thing they didn't think they could in mind blowingly little time.
Pre-requisites: a month minimum of weekly Small Group Healing Yoga Practices with Christine and a 2 year history with the practice of yoga. Application and interview. Home yoga practice history a plus, willingness to establish necessary. Must purchase and attend a minimum of 1 class with Christine per week in addition to the apprenticeship, which includes one private session and the YGA meeting each month.
Your first payment is your application fee and you'll gain access to the application after registering. Your interview will be scheduled within 2 weeks of the following conditions being met:1) you've attended class with Christine for at least 4 weeks in a row, 2) completed application online is submitted with first payment, which is non-refundable.
This is not an RYT program, does not result in a Yoga Alliance certificate and can be taken whether or not you have a RYT designation. You are not guaranteed to graduate from the program, but must meet all the conditions, pass the practical examinations and then you'll be invited to begin to sub at beginning teacher rates at the applicable time.
The minimum term is 20 months with 10 contact hours per month distributed as follows:
- Attend the 90 minute class prior to the BLY YGA Meeting (this makes it a 6 hour day on the 3rd Saturday of each month) and stay during the 30 minute interlude before the meeting. Apprentices gather to eat lunches they've brought and discuss class and study during this time.
- 4 hours BLY YGApprentice Meeting on 3rd Saturday: 3 hours A&P, techniques and teaching practice, 1 hour philosophy
- 1 assist per month: sign up for and attend one class with Christine to observe and assist with hands free adjustments as you gain understanding and proficiency. Arrive 15 min prior and stay 15 min after. Observations to be recorded in your notebook and discussed after class and in private session.
- 1 private apprentice session per month: this is not for personal practice per se, but to discuss and dive more deeply into the anatomy, teaching, techniques and philosophy topics of the month as well as teaching topics of special interest to you.
- Attend one other small group class at Badlands Yoga each month.
This is a true apprenticeship and relies on your attendance at small group healing yoga practices at least once a week with Christine, attendance at meetings and completion of assignments from research and reading to actively teaching other apprentices and sometimes teachers. You are likely to be asked to teach before you feel ready.... because this is how you get ready. Don't worry - you'll be teaching small, 15 minute classes, cleared by me to other apprentices with tons of support.
Deepen your practice, deepen your connection, deepen your understanding of all that yoga has to offer. Learn the evidence based practices that lead to deep integrity, groundedness, creativity and boundless energy.
I teach and practice Healing Yoga - no TM :) - which focuses on the 6 things that make yoga a healing practice: interior sensation, yoga shapes as containers, breath as the engine of movement, true core, focus + flow and rhythm (dinacharya and rutcharya, or the routines that support our circadian rhythm).
At Badlands Yoga we share the most effective tools for focus, balance, strength and stress reduction in practices designed to give you what you need to act from your most authentic, healthy self - even in the most stressful situations.
My previous life as a paramedic allows an intimate understanding of the anatomy and physiology that guides every class, pose, technique that I share with you.
You don't have to be flexible - or anything else - to do yoga: yoga helps you become those things.